The new 2019/20 Handbook is now available! It contains a lot of useful information from the Ship’s Routine to uniform maintenance.
REGISTRATION FOR ALL CADETS WILL BE ON THURSDAY 5 SEPTEMBER 2019.
On registration night, we ask our cadets to bring in the necessary documents and updated forms (originals please) as follows.
We will also be providing training to the cadets in staff positions for the upcoming year. The schedule for the evening is:
1830-1915: New Entry Registration
1915-1930: Presentation for new cadets and families
1930-2015: Returning Cadet Administration and Supply**
2015-2045: Ship’s Routine Training for all Staff Cadets, DPO, Signalmen and Messengers
** If anyone is requesting a uniform exchange, you will need to email email@example.com with the cadet’s full name and details of which uniform parts to be exchanged, including the reason/new size needed if known. All uniform parts needing to be exchanged must be freshly laundered. New parts will not be issued without the return of the original part, so please bring them with you on registration night to avoid delays.
The officers are preparing for another amazing year at NLCC Carinthia. Our first night will be 5 September 2019 for new entry registration, administration, and supply. Stay tuned – more information will be sent by email soon!
This week, we are preparing for our Annual Inspection that will happen on Sunday, May 26, at the Magna Centre.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to:
- complete permission forms for Annual, or
- sign up for the pot luck
Thursday, 23 May
- Cadets do NOT wear their uniforms tonight. Wear suitable clothes for preparing for Annual.
- We hope to finalize our displays and fine tune our demonstrations for Annual.
- Cadets that have attended at least 90% of the regular training nights since September (or from January for later registrations) will receive an Attendance Award Certificate.
Practice Day, 25 May
- 0930-1600 at the Magna Centre, 800 Mulock Dr. Newmarket in the Scotiabank Arena (easiest access from the west side of building)
- bring cleaned uniform on hangers, covered with labelled bag, polished boots go in a different labelled bag
- bring a peanut free lunch and snacks and filled reusable water bottle
- canteen will NOT be available due to change in location
Practice and Annual, 26 May
- 0930 cadet drop off at the Magna Centre, 800 Mulock Dr. Newmarket in the Scotiabank Arena (easiest access from the west side of building)
- bring a peanut free lunch and snacks and filled reusable water bottle
- parent/guardians/guests arrive for 1400
- contributions to the After Annual Celebration should be brought when arriving to see the Annual (Branch members will direct placing the items)
Congratulations to the First Aid and Semaphore teams and coaches for competing at Provincial Competitions (29-30 March) in Trenton!
Routine Orders for April are now posted.
We are nearing the end of the training for this session. We will prepare for and then complete the exams. Once training is completed, we move on to preparing for our final ceremonial parade, the Annual Inspection on 26 May.
If your cadet can’t make it to a cadet event or training night, please email the administration officer at email@example.com (email is preferred) or call the office at 905 895-3038.
Best of luck to our First Aid and Semaphore teams who are off to Provincial Competitions this weekend!
For the week of 25 March:
- Wednesday, 27 March Semaphore & First Aid Teams ONLY
- Location: Legion Hall, 707 Srigley St. Newmarket
- Dress: civvies
- First Aid: 1830 – 2000
- Semaphore: 1830 – 2030
- Thursday, 28 March at Optimist Hall – Two changes to the Routine Orders:
- There is NO inspection – we do have classes.
- Semaphore and First Aid team members do NOT wear their uniform since they have Provincials on the weekend. Their uniforms must be in excellent shape for competitions.
- Reminder: New Entry cadets wear WHITE shirt and BLACK pants unless they have the complete uniform.
We have most cadets in uniform now; we may need to order a few items in smaller sizes to compete all uniforms.
- Branch Meeting – All parents/guardians welcome to attend!
- Date: Tuesday, 26 March 2019
- Time: 1900-2030
- Location: Optimist Hall (normally held in the Optimist Room, upstairs at the front of the building)
- Warning of Upcoming Events – Information letters will be going out this week for:
- Battle of the Atlantic Parade (Barrie) – Sunday, 5 May
- Branch Tagging Fundraiser – Thursday, 9 May – Saturday, 11 May
We are cancelling tonight due to weather conditions that may develop by pick up time. Please see the following reminders as multiple permission forms were due tonight.
- Winter Camp Registrations: We need to know TONIGHT if your cadet will attend. If you had planned to register tonight, please email Lt (NL) Wood and let him know. You can bring the form and payment next week.
- Competition Team members: We need to know if your cadet will attend. Please email Lt (NL) Wood and let him know . You can bring the form next week.
- Victoria Weekend Camp (selected cadets only): We need to know TONIGHT if your cadet will attend. If you had planned to register tonight, please email Lt (NL) Wood and let him know . You can bring the form and payment next week.
Our busy training schedule is in full swing! Cadets are busy with level training and competition preparation.
The training schedule for February has been emailed to all families with the monthly Routine Orders attached. We have also added links to the Routine Orders to our website.
Note, there will be no meeting at the Optimist Hall on 21 February 2019.
- There will be off-site competition practice for team members only.
- Location and timing will be confirmed later.
Squadron competitions will take place 2-3 March 2019 here in Newmarket. Details and permission forms have been emailed for cadets on one of the teams: Semaphore, Seamanship, First Aid, and Drill. Please return permission forms by 14 February 2019.
Note: Uniform care and maintenance, including the locations for badges, is found in the Parent Handbook. If you have any questions about the uniform, please ask in the Ship’s Office.
Our next new entry registration session (9-11 year-olds) will be on January 10, 2019. Click here for more information and all the forms you’ll need.
NLCC Carinthia meets at the Optimist Club of Newmarket Hall, 55 Forhan Dr. Newmarket (https://goo.gl/maps/V4JrxntNaYr) on Thursday evenings from 1830 – 2115 (6:30 pm – 9:15 pm). Navy League is for children aged 9 to 12.
Navy League bases many of our activities on naval traditions and instills in each cadet a strong sense that they are a responsible and contributing member of not only our cadet corps, but also the greater community. We get involved with a number of events (such as camps, games, trips, and competitions) which develop leadership skills in the cadets and make for an enjoyable time.
All cadets take part in regular training on Thursday evenings (September to June), but several activities fall on other evenings and some weekends. Cadets are expected to participate in most of these events as they allow us to help the community (e.g. assisting with the Royal Canadian Legion’s Poppy Campaign), to increase the visibility of the Navy League in the community (e.g. marching in the Newmarket Santa Claus Parade and participating in our “Tagging” fundraising days), and to develop leadership skills and let the cadets have fun (e.g. attending our camps).
All those involved with running NLCC Carinthia are volunteers. There is no membership fee, but we have various fund raising activities that we use to help finance our work, and these are considered mandatory. We have a weekly canteen that costs $1 and a workbook that costs $2 for each level of training.
Our activities are supported by our organizing committee which is known as the Branch. All parents are expected to participate in Branch activities. This support could include driving cadets, organizing events, selling and buying fund raising items, assisting at camps, etc.