Don’t forget to check these October routine Orders to see what is happening, and to know what to wear. Here is the Poppy form for the upcoming Legion campaign (Nov 2-3), and the Remembrance Day form for November 11th.
Along with regular classes on 5 October, we are introducing information about competitions. We offer four teams that compete with other cadets corps in our squadron. If our team finishes in first place at the squadron level, we then compete in the provincial competition against teams from other squadrons across Ontario.
Cadets may try out for one of: seamanship (7 cadets), first aid (6 cadets), and semaphore (6 cadets). Cadets may also try out for the drill team (15 cadets). As not all cadets will make a competition team, some teams may also have a practice squad that will work to improve skills for next year’s team.
The squadron competitions are being held at the Optimist Hall from 9 March 2018 to 11 March 2018. More details about the times, etc. will be released when confirmed.
Please send your cadet with $1 for canteen. They are NOT allowed to purchase more than that.
Cap and Boots:
We are working on supplying all New Entries with cap and boots. If we do not have your cadet’s size for cap, we plan on ordering more caps ($68 + cap tally). We will try to do this fairly soon, but we are trying to place one order instead of several. Delivery times depend on when our supplier.
Boots are a different issue as they are quite expensive to purchase ($175) from our supplier. We are looking into alternatives. One alternative is to ask you to purchase a pair of sturdy black dress shoes for use at cadet functions. We will let you know how we plan to proceed with this issue.
- This week we will start off the evening with “Ceremonial Divisions”: an inspection and the march past ceremony.
- New Entries should be in white shirt, black pants and shoes.
- Other cadets should have their uniforms in top shape: cleaned and shoes polished.
- We will also be having training classes later in the evening.
- A reminder that canteen is available for cadets: $1 for a drinking box and snack combo.
- Please return the camp registration form
- Also, if you have not already done so, return the Volunteering sheet. Lost your copy? Check your e-mail!
- Please watch for the Routine Orders for October and letters for some events in November later in the week.
Memo from Sept 18, 2017
We are having a sports night. All cadets should be dress for an active night: shorts, t-shirt, and running shoes. Cadets MUST bring a filled reusable water bottle. Please label the bottle.
We have a canteen where cadets may purchase a $1 drinking box and snack combo. Cadets MUST bring cash for the canteen. This fee was waived for all New Entries for the first week.
This is a second reminder that several cadets need to get haircuts to meet the regulations of the Navy League of Canada. In general, hair should be over, not touching the ear, and off the collar. Please see the specific details in your copy of the Parent handbook (click underlined text to download).
- Volunteering Sign-up letter. Your volunteering helps us provide our program to your cadet. Your assistance is vital in supporting the camps by cooking/serving a meal, by driving cadets to help support community groups and to do our own fund raising. We need you to check off your choices and return the letter this week please!
- Fall Camp letter. Please read the details and return the application form with payment.
- For New Entries. The Cadet Promise. If a cadet can recite the promise from memory to the Commanding Officer, then they can be issued their cap and boots.
Please let me know if you have any questions about these items.
Lt (NL) Steven Wood
Here are the [ September 2017 routine orders ]. Please let us know, especially with new cadets, if there are any issues settling in to the routine, understanding the requirements, terminology, or traditions at NLCC Carinthia. New cadets are reminded that they can earn their cap and boots by reciting to the Commanding Officer, from memory, the Cadet Promise.
Lt (NL) Steven Wood